The Egg Chair was originally designed by Arne Jacobsen in the 1950’s. This masterpiece was created to furnish Denmark’s first skyscraper . The best thing about the egg chair is that it has both a professional and homely appeal, giving it a wide range of uses. The structure of the chair is visually light yet embracing. The chair itself rose to iconic status in its heydays when it was popular with executives in the entertainment industry and today it is praised by modern furniture enthusiasts all over for its timeless yet futuristic design. Through the chair’s masterfully designed curves and modern aesthetics, this Danish masterpiece carves an essence of power into any modern space.
As mentioned, what’s notable about this chair is that it was originally designed for business use. The executive design and swivel actions enhances the chair’s form and practicality and adds tremendous amounts of flair to any business setting, whether its an office, conference room, hotel or lobby. However, the Egg Chair has garnered international acclaim for its astute design and the chair is now found in the homes of modern design aficionados worldwide. This chair is a perfect compliment to your modern, retro or modern-retro designed home.
When buying an egg chair, please take the following 10 points into consideration:
1) The four legs of the chair should be formed from injection moulded aluminum.
2) The Egg chair’s swivel action is supported by a steel tubing. This steel tubing is manufactured from a welded piece of steel tubing that is 1.4” by .07” in diameter, and a matching steel spindle that is 1.10”.
3) The tilt mechanism of the chair should adjust to the user’s weight.
4) The spring and handle components of the tilt mechanism should also be made of steel.
5) The base’s steel finish, swivel and tilt mechanisms should be satin polished.
6) The shell of the Egg Chair is created from a single mold with polyurethane foam that is reinforced with glass fiber. THis helps retain its form and provides long lasting comfort. The shell of the Egg Chair should appear close to the ground.
7) The Egg Chair is now upholstered in a large variety of fabrics and colors.
8) It takes 1,300 stitches to construct the chair’s upholstery.
9) A classic Egg Chair has a height of 42.12”, a width of 33.85”, and a depth of 31.10’ to 37.40” in its tilt action. The Egg chair replica will have small but unoticable differences in its dimension.
10) At a weight of 40 lbs, the Egg Chair is surprisingly light.This, of course, will vary with the choice of upholstery.
Jacobsen’s Egg Chair is a fantastic example of proportional and architectural excellence. Buying an egg chair for your office or home is a bold decision. It clearly accentuates the buyer’s taste for timeless modern design and will provide a unifying synergy of power and serenity while displaying a sense of iconic distinction in any interior design you choose to create.